Control and Provisioning of Wireless Access Points (CAPWAP)
The IETF defined control and provisioning of wireless access points (CAPWAP) provides standard, interoperable methods to enable a controller to manage a collection of wireless access points. CAPWAP provides configuration and device management, allowing for configurations and firmware to be pushed to access points (APs).
Aricent’s CAPWAP software framework is a portable implementation of the CAPWAP specification defined in the IETF RFCs. The software comprises of two components – a client for WLAN access points and a controller for WLAN control switches or servers. Each component is optional depending upon the type of device the software is required to support.
- Implements CAPWAP functions for WLAN access points (client) and controllers in two separate components
- Allows the administrator to enable/disable functioning at runtime
- Supports DTLS for encrypted tunnels for control traffic
- Allows the administrator to select the use of encrypted tunnels using DTLS or non-encrypted tunnels without DTLS for data path traffic
- Allows the administrator to select pre-shared keys or certificates for authentication between controllers and access points
- Implements support to use IPv4 or IPv6 transport
- Implements the Path MTU Discovery procedure
- Implements support for all the message types defined in the CAPAP specification – Discovery, Join, Control Channel Management, WTP Configuration Management, Station Session Management, Device Management Operations, Binding-specific CAPWAP Management
- Implements support for all the message elements, protocol timers, and protocol variables defined in the IETF CAPWAP specification
- Provides comprehensive support for configuration and management through different schemes such as SNMP and CLI
- Provides a comprehensive set of MIB objects for management through SNMP
- Provides support for notifications through traps
- Provides generic APIs for easy integration with related software modules from other sources
- Conforms to Aricent’s Flexible Software Architecture for Portability (FSAP) framework, for portable code
- Implements support at the controller to offload repetitive functions to a separate hardware element for improving performance and scalability
Accelerated time to market
Our CAPWAP software significantly reduces product development and integration timelines, thereby helping original equipment manufacturers and value added resellers accelerate the time to market of the products in which they wish to incorporate the IETF-defined CAPWAP functionality.
|CAPWAP Protocol Specification||RFC 5415|
|CAPWAP Binding for 802.11||RFC 5416|
- Source code written in C
- Porting process document
Our CAPWAP software is offered with a source code usage license on a specified platform, with unlimited object code distribution.